Saturday, August 22, 2015

Weighted Belt Helps ADD Kids

I am not going into much depth here, as a lady named Brenda Nicholson recently covered this quite extensively in a post to HER blog, An ADD Woman.

In the post on her blog, A Miracle Belt for ADHD, she starts with a review of a book, Playing Catch with Destiny: How the Miracle Belt Changes Lives, by Michael Williamsen.

Originally intended to be a baseball story with its focus on minor league player, Matt Bruback, it eventually changed direction and became a description of how Matt had developed the "miracle belt for ADHD" which is mentioned in the title.

As Brenda Nicholson points out in her post, the important story for those with ADHD is the additional tool for dealing with ADHD.

I won't go any further with a review. I have not read the book, Brenda apparently has. You can read her review here.

You can also visit the Miracle Belt website.

As I mentioned, I don't have a lot to say personally about the book, but, I will mention that my grandson has ADD, and his mother, my daughter, is trying to raise him without medicating him. She has worked closely for some time with counselors and teachers, and one tip she got was to make him a weighted vest. She bought the material and the weights, and, with the aid of her sister, since she is visually impaired, was able to make the vest.

He has worn it at home and at school. Teachers have noted the difference it makes in his behavior, and, he, a second grader, already realizes how much it helps when he feels like "my brain won't shut up", and even asks for it at times.



No comments:

Post a Comment