Sunday, October 18, 2015

Adult ADHD - Hyperactivity and Being Stuck in Time

In the letters, ADHD, the "H" stands for "hyperactivity".

This "need for speed", or, at least, movement, can manifest itself in many ways.


It's one reason those of us with adult ADHD may move on to the next thing before we are finished with what we are doing, for example. It may also manifest itself by our getting up, moving around, fidgeting, etc.

As children, this hyperactivity may be more noticeable, but, we adults have often learned to control it to some degree.

However, the need to "do" something is often still there exerting a force on our lives, much like a magnet exerts an unseen force on nearby iron filings.

People who have adult ADHD experience the effects of the condition at various levels and in various ways, so, when one person talks about their experiences, someone else may not relate to it 100%. But, realizing that someone is affected in a given way may give insight into something that you have experienced but not quite understood.

In my adult ADHD world, "hyperactivity" sometimes actually manifests itself both as "activity" AND "inactivity".

I recently used an example of this to explain to my wife why, even though I love to travel, I don't always find ways to enjoy short visits to specific areas.

When I arrive at a new place, or, one I haven't been to in a while, I have to run around looking at things and places, but, not "doing" anything. I feel driven to "hit the high spots" right off the bat.

Hyperactivity at work.

Then, I begin to become aware of activities or interests which extend beyond simply driving down the street where I grew up and looking at the place I used to play with my dog. However, it takes me a couple of days to begin to see the various opportunities in the area rather than just sightseeing.

But, as I begin to realize that I am leaving in a couple of days, I start to shift back to a waiting mode and just feel like sitting around, because something is "going to happen".

It's like that today, even at home. I have promised to take my daughter to the local Greek Fest at noon. Even though it is still 8 AM, I feel unable to DO anything, even type this short post simply because I am ready to DO the noon thing, and, my hyperactivity will not let me put it to the side to do something else.

I don't know if anyone else experiences this sort of problem with adult ADHD, but, as I said, we each have our own unique experiences.

1 comment:

  1. I understand what you are saying. I prefer going to familiar places for vacations because it is to much input trying to figure out a new place. I don't get any rest and it is so hard deciding what to do while worrying about what I might miss.

    ReplyDelete